Mentoplasty – A Chin Plastic Surgery
The chin defines your facial profile, giving balance to the face. A weak chin can be augmented or reshaped with chin surgery or (technically known as) Mentoplasty, to achieve facial balance and harmony. The shape of the chin can impact the overall appearance of the face and neck.
Mentoplasty (chin surgery) is a surgical procedure that can enhance the chin either with a silicone implant or a surgery on the bone to reduce the chin, as needed. Improving proportions of the face can help with enhancing one’s confidence and self-esteem.
Often, a patient having a Rhinoplasty ( nose surgery) is also recommended chin surgery by a plastic surgeon, to achieve better facial proportions. This is because the size of the chin may magnify or minimize the perceived size of the nose.
While it is natural to have questions about the surgery and its results, some quick answers to them may help you make an informed decision before opting for it.
Care Before Surgery
- Select a certified and experienced surgeon
- Quit smoking at least 2 weeks before surgery
- Refrain from eating or drinking for at least 8 hours before surgery /as advised by your doctor
- Follow doctor’s instructions about medication to be taken or stopped before surgery
- Be prepared to face the risks/complications if any, post-surgery
- Thorough understanding of the follow-up care including dietary restrictions
Care After Surgery
- Follow your doctor’s post-op care instructions strictly to avoid complications
- Stop Smoking and alcohol for a few days
- Keep your head propped up for I week, No heavy lifting, straining, strenuous activity.
- Do NOT blow or rub your nose, sneeze through your mouth
- Don’t be exposed to direct sunlight (use UVA UVB sun protection creams)
- Do not compare results with others
- Do not skip post-op review appointments
Frequently asked Questions
Here are a few points that may answer your questions about Rhinoplasty, to help you make an informed decision before opting for it.
If you feel that your chin is not shaped right in relation to the rest of the face, you can consider Mentoplasty. A weak chin makes the neck appear fleshy. If you have a recessed chin, a squarish or a pointed chin, a prominent nose and a fleshy neck, then you could be considered for chin surgery.
The surgery takes approximately 30 to 45 minutes. The procedure will take longer if additional procedures are being performed simultaneously.
If you had just the chin implant, you should feel fine the day of the surgery. You may have mild soreness in the chin area and some swelling. The chin area may feel tight due to the increased volume provided by the implant, and the body’s swelling response.
Just as with any surgery, chin implant surgery can have postoperative effects and potential risks such as:
- Numb feeling in the lip area, that gets better the following day.
- Mild swelling and soreness.
- Changed sensation to the area, may be temporary or permanent.
- Shifting of the implant possible with contact sports before healing. Avoiding contact to the implant area is necessary for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Possibility of developing an infection as a result of the implant, in which case the surgery may be redone.
Pain medication and antibiotics may be prescribed to relieve pain and prevent infection, or any other medication as required, based on the individual need.
The cost of the procedure may vary depending on the type of procedure, whether its an implant placement or bone surgery (Genioplasty), the experience of the doctor, the technologies used for the procedure.
The surgery cost includes:
- Implants if required
- Hospital / surgical facility cost
- Prescription medication cost
- Anesthetist and Surgeon’s fee
- Nursing and Support Staff fee
- Post-surgery garments
While patients look refreshed, younger, and more rested, their bodies and skin will still continue to age after their chin surgery because aging is a natural phenomenon. Patients enjoy the results of chin surgery for several years or permanently, depending on certain factors, including maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
If the chin correction is done to augment the chin with implantation, the surgeon uses fine sutures to close the incision. In chin reduction surgery, incisions are made either in the mouth or under the chin. When the incision is inside the mouth, no scarring is visible. If the incision is under the chin, the scar is usually imperceptible.
It is important to validate the training, skills, and experience of the surgeon before deciding to go for an elective procedure. A board certified surgeon is always preferred. Also the surgeon should have reasonable experience to ensure best results. If you are considering surgery of the face and neck, that area of expertise is facial plastic surgery/surgeon.
Why Hyderabad Cosmetic Surgery?
We are an experienced team of plastic and cosmetic surgeons, who are board certified members. The team is led by Dr. Ravindranath Bhyri, M.S, M.Ch, dedicated and board certified Plastic Surgeon with 13 years of surgical experience, and expertise in complex Reconstructive & life-saving procedures. Dr. Bhyri is Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgeon for several hospitals in the city.
We adopt safe surgical option that’s best for the individual based on his or her condition and requirement. Several of our patients have had safe and effective chin surgery procedures that proved to be rewarding for both the surgeon, and the patient.
HCS has the right equipment and technologies, that aid in pre-surgical assessment and effective treatment for our patients. We also show imaging to show you what the surgery might accomplish, that reflects our expertise.
Our patients appreciate us for providing expert advice about the pros and cons of the treatment that help them make informed decisions. We also provide before-after photos for patients to evaluate the results.
We are an empathetic team and ensure best patient care; provide post-operative care instructions and provide cost-effective treatment.
You can stay assured that you are in the safe hands of a highly-trained plastic and cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Bhyri at Hyderabad Cosmetic Surgery.