A fat grafting is a versatile procedure that involves transferring of fat from areas with excessive fat, (such as the outer thighs), into areas lacking in volume, (such as your face, hands, breasts or buttocks) through fat injections. Tat transfer can be a superior option to avoid the risks of conventional breast implants or fix failed reconstructive surgeries
Fat grafting has become the procedure of choice for various problems, including facial scarring, lip augmentation, breasts and buttocks. Fat transfer is an outpatient procedure that is done under local anesthetic. Patients experience minimal downtime and very little discomfort.
- Fat Grafting of Cheeks – The Fat transfer technique enables subtle, natural-looking changes to the midface region of patients, seeking to achieve seamless results. Sterile cannula (tubes) are used to harvest fat from another region of the body (commonly the buttocks, abdomen, or thighs) to the cheeks.This minimally-invasive technique is a safe option, which is performed using local anesthesia, with little discomfort and minimal downtime. It can be performed in conjunction with liposuction surgery or additional facial rejuvenation services.
- Fat Grafting of Breast – Fat transfer breast augmentation uses liposuction to take fat from other parts of your body and inject it to the breast for enhancement. It is preferred for those looking for a relatively small increase in breast size with natural results. Fat Transfer is an alternative to Breast Implants. In fat grafting, fat tissue is removed from other parts of your body (thighs, belly, and buttocks) by liposuction, processed, and injected into the breast area to recreate the breast.Fat grafting, called lipofilling, is another method used to fix minor differences in the shape, balance, or position of the reconstructed breast compared to the other breast.
- Fat Grafting of Buttocks With fat grafting of buttocks a patient can achieve desired results with a fat transfer rather than liposuction. A fat transfer of buttock is a special procedure to bring more volume to a part of the body. Most often the fat is injected to the upper buttock, by extracting it from the lower buttock thus lifting the entire butt, tightening it and giving it a fit, proportionate and toned look.
Care Before Surgery
- Select a certified and experienced Cosmetic surgeon for consultation/procedure
- Discuss with surgeon the outcomes you are expecting and understand the possibilities of the outcomes you are looking for from the surgery.
- Quit smoking 4 weeks before surgery; NO alcohol too.
- Refrain from eating or drinking for 8 hours before surgery /as advised by your doctor
- Follow doctor’s instructions about medication to be taken or stopped before surgery as required
- Be prepared to face the risks/complications if any, post-surgery
- Understand the follow-up care, including dietary restrictions
Care After Surgery
- Follow your doctor’s post-op care instructions strictly to avoid complications
- No – rigorous activities for 2- 3 weeks
- Quit smoking for at least 3-4 weeks, stop alcohol intake for 4 weeks.
- Rest well and allow at least 2 weeks
- Proper nutrients, proteins and hydration helps proper healing.
- Do not compare results with others
- Do not skip post-op care appointments
Frequently asked Questions
Here are a few points that may answer your questions about Rhinoplasty, to help you make an informed decision before opting for it.
Individuals who want to augment or fill specific parts of their body like sunken cheeks, small or asymmetrical breasts or lean buttocks are likely to be interested in fat transfer. People with good health, sufficient fat, and have realistic goals are suitable for fat transfer procedure.
Fat transfer risks and complications include:
- Allergic reaction to the local anesthetic,
- Permanent discoloration caused by a ruptured blood vessel at the treatment site,
- Blood clot at the treatment or donor site,
- Blood-borne infection (perhaps from another cosmetic or dental procedure),
- Scar tissue, and a fat embolism caused by a fat injection mistakenly directed into a blood vessel.
Facial fat transfer- Apparent bruising and swelling in the face will typically resolve within 2 weeks following a fat transfer procedure. By the second week, most patients can get back out in public with a little makeup to camouflage any residual swelling or bruising.
Fat transfer has become a preferred method of facial volume enhancement for patients who are allergic to traditional dermal fillers. Fat injection as a cosmetic treatment is natural, versatile, long-lasting, and safe. There are no chances of an adverse allergic reaction.