|FACT SHEET – FULL FACE-LIFT SURGERY AT A GLANCE|
|Procedure Time||Approx. 4 hours|
|Anesthesia||General or local anesthesia|
|Hospital Stay||Outpatient procedure; short hospital stay (occasionally)|
|Back to Work||In 5- 7 days|
|Recovery||4 – 6 weeks.|
|Durations of Results||Usually Permanent|
|Risks/Complications||Infection, bleeding, poor healing, excessive scarring etc. (Refer FAQs for more information).|
Otoplasty or cosmetic ear surgery is a procedure to change the shape, position or size of the ears. Otoplasty can correct a birth defective ear structure ( bat or cup ears), or treat misshapen ears caused by injury, thus bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. It helps to optimize ear symmetry.
Correcting even minor deformities in the ear can make a big difference to the appearance and self-esteem of the individual. Otoplasty can be done preferably after 5 years of age, when the ears have reached their full size.
The choice of the surgical procedure is based on the severity of the ear abnormality and the individual characteristics of the auricular cartilage. Here are some answers to questions that may be on your mind regarding otoplasty:
Care Before Surgery
- Select a certified and experienced Cosmetic surgeon for consultation/procedure
- Quit smoking 2 weeks before surgery
- Refrain from eating or drinking for 8 hours before surgery /as advised by your doctor
- Follow doctor’s instructions about medication to be taken or stopped before surgery
- Be prepared to face the risks/complications if any, post-surgery
Care After Surgery
- Follow your doctor’s post-op care instructions strictly to avoid complications
- Refrain from tobacco products and alcohol for 3 weeks
- Reduce activity to decrease any chance of bleeding or the incision opening, swelling and nausea.
- Keep head elevated at a 45 degree angle
- Avoid sun exposure as much as possible for 3 months,
- Do not skip post-op care appointments
Frequently asked Questions
Here are a few points that may answer your questions about Rhinoplasty, to help you make an informed decision before opting for it.
- Healthy individuals without medical conditions
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for ear surgery
- Individuals who have mis-happen ears, defective or asymmetric ears (large /cup /bat ears)
Set up an appointment with your cosmetic surgeon to discuss in-depth about the procedure and its results, in terms of the appearance after the procedure. Your surgeon will likely review your medical history, do a physical exam and discuss your expectations from the surgery.
To determine your treatment options, your surgeon may examine your ear placement, size, shape and symmetry. He may take pictures of your ears for your medical record.
Correcting minor deformities of the ear shape and size can make a big difference to one’s appearance and self-esteem. Otoplasty helps correct size and shape of ears if abnormal, depending on one’s health condition and other factors.
It is done in a hospital or as an outpatient surgical facility. Sometimes the procedure is done with sedation and local anesthesia, which numbs the area. In other cases, general anesthesia is recommended that renders you unconscious during the procedure. Otoplasty sets prominent ears back closer to the head and/or reduces the size of large ears. Cosmetic ear surgery is most often performed on children in the age group of four and fourteen.
Like every other surgery, otoplasty also poses certain risks such as:
- Permanent Scarring: Likely to be hidden behind your ears or within the ear creases.
- Asymmetry in ear placement: can be caused during the healing process and may not successfully correct pre-existing asymmetry.
- Changes in skin sensation: The repositioning of your ears can temporarily affect skin sensation in the area.
- Problems with stitches: Suture removal can cause inflammation of the affected skin; may require additional surgery.
- Overcorrection: Can create unnatural contours that make ears appear to be pinned back.
Ear surgery is a highly individualized procedure, and should be done to fulfil your need, and not to satisfying others.
The patient may return to school or work within a week’s time. Strenuous activity, such as contact sports can be resumed in one to two months. The patient may be advised a compression garment to be worn for 4 weeks.
Why Hyderabad Cosmetic Surgery?
We adopt surgical options that’s best for the individual; Safe, predictable and stable among the diverse methods available. HCS has the expertise and experience to combine art and science of otoplasty. Our safe and effective otoplasty procedures proved to be rewarding for both the surgeon, and the patient.
We are an experienced team of plastic and cosmetic surgeons, who are board certified members. The team is led by Dr. Ravindranath Bhyri, M.S, M.Ch, dedicated and board certified Plastic Surgeon with 13 years of surgical experience, and expertise in complex reconstructive & life-saving procedures. Dr. Bhyri is Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgeon for several hospitals in the city.
Our patients appreciate us for providing expert advice about the pros and cons of the treatment that helps them make informed decisions. We also provide before-after photos for patients to have a better understanding of results.
HCS is an empathetic team and ensure best patient care; provide post-operative care instructions and provide cost-effective treatment.
You can stay assured that you are in the safe hands of a highly-trained plastic and cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Bhyri at Hyderabad Cosmetic Surgery.