ABDOMINOPLASTY (TUMMY TUCK)
No amount of exercises or diet is helping you to reduce your flabby tummy? Tummy tuck surgery, also known as abdominoplasty, helps to cut the flab by removing excess fat and skin.Tt also tightens muscles in your abdominal wall, to create a smoother abdomen profile.
Men and women who were once obese and still have excess fat deposits or loose skin around the belly can opt for tummy tuck. It’s not a substitute for weight loss or an appropriate exercise program, nor does it correct stretch marks, unless it is in the area where the skin will be excised.
If you’re planning substantial weight loss or considering future pregnancies, you’re advised to postpone a tummy tuck.
It is important that should know the facts before you decide to go forward with it. Here are some answers to questions to help you understand about the surgery better.
Care Before Surgery
- Select a certified and experienced Cosmetic surgeon for consultation/procedure
- Discuss with surgeon the outcomes you are expecting and understand the possibilities of the outcomes you are looking for from the surgery.
- Quit smoking 4 weeks before surgery; NO alcohol too.
- Refrain from eating or drinking for 8 hours before surgery /as advised by your doctor
- Follow doctor’s instructions about medication to be taken or stopped before surgery as required
- Be prepared to face the risks/complications if any, post-surgery
- Understand the follow-up care, including dietary restrictions
Care After Surgery
- Follow your doctor’s post-op care instructions strictly to avoid complications
- No – rigorous activities for 2- 3 weeks
- Quit smoking for at least 3-4 weeks, stop alcohol intake for 4 weeks.
- Do not lift weights or bend at the waist to lift, for six weeks.
- Do not expose to direct sunlight, and eat soft semi-solid foods
- Do not compare results with others
- Do not skip post-op care appointments
Frequently asked Questions
Here are a few points that may answer your questions about Abdominoplasty, to help you make an informed decision before opting for it.
You may be a good candidate if:
- Physically healthy and have stable weight
- You have realistic expectations
- You do not smoke
- Bothered by the appearance of your abdomen.
It is meant to reshape your abdomen by removing excess fat and skin in that area. It’s not a substitute for exercise program, to burn fat.
(i) Mini Abdominoplasty
- 4-8 inches scar is placed above pubic region
- Done in limited patients with lower abdomen skin excess.
- Does not reposition the navel.
(ii) Standard or Full tummy tuck
- Uses hip to hip incision with repositioning of navel/ belly button,abdominal muscle tightening and removal of excess skin in mid and lower abdomen.
- Tummy tuck when combined with abdominal Liposuction is called as Lipo-abdominoplasty.
(iii) Extended tummy tuck:
- Incisions are extended beyond hips. It is reserved for massive weight loss patients.Circumferential lower body lift is often combined with this procedure.
|Before Surgery Care||After Surgery Care|
|Select a certified and experienced Cosmetic surgeon for consultation/ procedure.||Follow your doctor’s post-op care instructions strictly to avoid complications.|
|Quit smoking 4 weeks before surgery; No alcohol too.||No rigorous activities for 4-6 weeks.|
|Refrain from eating or drinking for 8 hours before surgery/ as advised by your doctor.||Quit smoking for at least 6-8 weeks, stop alcohol for 6 weeks.|
|Follow doctor’s instructions about medication to be taken or stopped before surgery is required.||Do not lift weights or bend at the waist to lift, for six weeks.|
|Be prepared to face risks/ complications if any, post surgery||Do not expose to direct sunlight, and eat soft semi-solid foods.|
|Understand the follow-up care, including dietary restrictions.||Do not compare results with others.|
|Do not skip post-op care appointments.|
This surgery can take 2-5 hours. You may need to stay overnight in the hospital, depending on your case. It is done under general anesthesia, which will put you to “sleep” during the operation.Redundant excess skin and fat are trimmed along with tightening of abdominal muscles. Scars are hidden under skinny area.
Before you decide to go with tummy tuck surgery, weigh your options carefully and make sure it’s your own decision and not forced upon you. Know if the benefits will achieve your goals and if the risks and potential complications of tummy tuck surgery are acceptable.
Risks with Tummy tuck surgery include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Fluid accumulation (seroma)
- Poor wound healing
- Skin loss/ skin necrosis
- Numbness or other changes in skin sensation
- Skin discoloration and/or prolonged swelling
- Unfavorable scarring
- Recurrent looseness of skin
- Fatty tissue found deep in the skin might die (fat necrosis)
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Suboptimal aesthetic result
- Possibility of revisional surgery
- Persistent pain
The recovery period is very crucial and instructions provided by your doctor. Some of the instructions may include:
- Care for the surgical site and drains
- Oral or topical medication to aid healing and prevent infection
- When to follow up with your plastic surgeon.
The results can be long lasting provided you ensure to maintain your diet and exercise and prevent the build-up of extra fat in the abdomen region.
It depends on the type, the person’s general condition, and other factors that include:
- Hospital / surgical facility cost
- Prescription medication cost
- Anesthetist and Surgeon’s fee
- Nursing and Support Staff fee
- Post-surgery garments
The cost can vary between Rs. 85,000 – Rs. 1,30,000.
Send us your pictures to get an opinion from our doctor before you come for consultation to help us understand if you are a candidate for the procedure.
Why Hyderabad Cosmetic Surgery (HCS)?
At HCS, we adopt surgical option that’s best for the individual – safe, predictable and stable. Our patients had experienced rewarding results from Tummy Tuck surgeries.
We are a team of plastic and cosmetic surgeons who are board certified members with experience in cosmetic and plastic procedures.
Our team is led by Dr. Ravindranath Bhyri, M.S, M.Ch, dedicated and board certified Plastic Surgeon with 13 years of surgical experience. He has an expertise in complex reconstructive & life-saving procedures. Dr. Bhyri is Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgeon for several hospitals in Hyderabad / Secunderabad cities.
We discuss with the patient in detail, about the pros and cons of the procedure and answer all questions raised by the patient to help them make informed decisions. HCS provides before-after photos for patients to compare and assess doctor’s expertise.
We are an empathetic team that ensures best patient care, provide post-operative care instructions and cost-effective treatment. You can stay rest assured that you are in the safe hands of a highly-trained and qualified plastic and cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Bhyri at Hyderabad Cosmetic Surgery.